Monday, February 16, 2015

Wooden Workbench - 3

Simple construction for the legs. Here, on the underside, you can see the handholds.

Persephanie jumped on and wanted to test drive the new table. Started to do her math homework right on a piece of 2x4. Guess I could use a break anyways.

I’m really just designing this bench on the fly. No real plans. Here, I decided to add a small compartment underneath the table top. A place to hold all the bench dogs and clamps. Or any tools that the current project requires. Making sure things are square now.

This is my sad workspace. 2 feet by 4 feet! I’m in a constant fear of hitting my car. Or dropping something on it. Makes me really aware of my surroundings. Which is a good thing.

I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on this project. A real tail vice would set me back $70 for the cheapest one. But, I still wanted a vice to hold wood. I was trying to come up with a  really cheap and effective solution. Then came across these bar clamps that were on sale! But, these were better than bar clamps. Instead of pipes, you use 2x4s! Which is perfect for this 2x4 project! When I’m not using the wood bench, I can pull these puppies off and use them as clamps elsewhere! Double the usage!


With a pair installed at the end of the bench, All i need is a cross member to complete the tail vice. A chunk of 2x4 with a little cutout to slip over the vice.




Next up... the accessories! The bench dogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment