The original design didn't have a ladder to get up to the loft. I wanted a clean profile. Only access was a few rock climbing pegs. Figure it was a good way to "earn" your way into the fort. But, my wife (and everyone else) seemed to have an opinion otherwise.
The rungs. Painted black to color match.
The steps on the rungs are coated with a paint that was specific to deck paint. I also added a anti-slip powder to the paint. Don't want any accidents when there's water!
The wood of the ladder itself is reclaimed lumber! Yea! Here, I added a grab hold hole. Might as well make it even safer for people. *cough*wife*cough*
Rounded off the edges. Sanded all the surfaces of the ladder. Making sure it was splinter free.
A nice guy was giving away some of his old wood. He had a HUGE pile of it on his lawn. Told me to take whatever I want. Really had no idea what I needed until I saw these cedar fence posts. Loved it and grabbed as many as I could. Originally, I thought these rungs could be used to fence in the deck of the sky loft. But a better idea was to use them for window treatment!
Ripped all of the pieces in half on the table saw. That way I get twice as much material to work with! The thinner dimension work better for the scale of my project anyways. So, win-win!
Chose one of the sheets to be 100% transparent to allow light through. Wanted the area by the door to be well lit at all times.
Getting the roofing done. It's simple corrugated polycarbonate roofing sheets. Easy to install with integrated rain/snow channels. The ripples gives it strength. I'm giving it a bit of an angle for the rain/snow to sheet off. Hope it's enough. Even if it isn't.. there's enough bracing underneath to hold a LOT of weight.
Future project: I want to install a periscope! We'll see.. another year for that detail.