Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Skyloft: Windows Completed!




The Hinge:
The hinge gave me some sleepness nights. I wanted clean lines through the window detail. Lines that would wrap around the fort. I wanted it to be fully integrated and preferably wood.

Had many sketches as to how it would be accomplished:

Then I mocked one up:
Only to realize there is a flaw in the design. It only opened up 90 degrees. I wanted the window to fully open 180 degrees. So it would sit flush with the wall.

Back to the drawing board. Adding a 45 degree bend to both ends:
It works. It does exactly what I need it to do. Which is to fold the window back 180 degrees. BUT, I don't like it. I don't like the huge protrusion now. It's just an eyesore.

So, guess I'll have to cheat here and use metal hinges. Didn't want to go there, but it's the only way.

O well. This works. And it's cheap.






No comments:

Post a Comment